WORK OPTION: 4 days/week in the Secaucus, NJ office
The NBA is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace. To safeguard our employees and their families, our visitors, and the broader community from COVID-19, and in consideration of recommendations from health authorities and the NBA’s own advisors, any individual working onsite in our New York and New Jersey offices must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The NBA will discuss accommodations for individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Reporting to the GM of Marquee Events, the Marquee Events, Program Lead supports the growth and effective production of some of the highest value media-driven NBA events including NBA Draft Lottery, NBA Draft Combine, NBA Draft, and NBA Global Games.
This role requires strong relationship management and a devotion to tangible performance metrics that have proven to grow live event businesses and execute to the highest standards. Identifying and delivering opportunities that maximize efficiencies on both sides of the P&L, this role must deliver scalable operational procedures, budgets, dashboards, formal stakeholder communications & orientations, and executive summaries. The optimal candidate will leverage a strong understanding of industry best practices and polished project management skills to guide relevant stakeholders from initial planning conversations through event execution. Simultaneously managing multiple events with meticulous attention to detail, this role will drive cross-functional collaboration, communicate priorities and deadlines to key stakeholders, and monitor progress against event deliverables.
The optimal candidate builds trust by setting new standards for excellence, delivering against tight deadlines, and being fanatically dedicated to the experience of key constituents (e.g., fans, teams, players, media, partners, and internal departments). They will be able to navigate ambiguity by driving swiftly towards simple solutions that leverage insights to advance new initiatives. With a meticulous attention to detail and scalable project management, this leader will also demonstrate extraordinary organizational skills that only improve as the complexity of the project increases. Understanding in detail the costs, revenue, products, services, and systems for each event in their business line, the optimal candidate will use this knowledge to close competitiveness gaps and amplify existing strengths. The Marquee Events, Program Lead will have a pulse on emerging trends, see opportunities where others remain stagnant, and remain obsessed with delivering polished executive-level work product.
- Support the management of all day-to-day business and logistical operations for NBA Draft Lottery, NBA Draft Combine, NBA Draft, and NBA Global Games.
- Document, implement, and train key processes, policies and procedures that deliver consistent global scale and facilitate growth of the business
- Deliver high-volume and results-oriented project and budget management across assigned events
- Along with the GM of Marquee Events, implement and execute against a business plan for profitability in each event –– creating ancillary revenue streams and efficiency measures that maximize OI and improve productivity
- Monitor progress of key initiatives and priorities by meeting regularly with cross-functional project team to track event planning, draw and share insights, and problem solve
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of internal and external constituents by taking complex problems and simplifying them for the audience
- Support the development and presentation of each event to internal departments – communicate key milestones, storylines, and activation plans
- Spearhead post-event recaps that promote data-driven decision making and actionable next steps
- Cultivate relationships with all marquee event markets, emerging technologies, and industry-leading operators and formulate cost effective partnerships
- Experienced project and relationship manager with a proven track record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously and a demonstrated understanding of event business models
- Proficient in creating, managing, tracking and reconciling multiple high-value budgets
- Experience with project management software and all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Analytical orientation and dedication to using data and metrics to simplify recommendations and execute a shared definitions of success
- Experience in the consumer, sports, media, and/or entertainment industries at companies whose best-in-class live experiences have driven rapid growth
- Willingness to travel extensively – both domestically and internationally
- High energy, integrity, and humility
- 5+ years of premium live global touring event development and production experience with a track-record of leading cross-functional projects
- Previous international event experience; additional language skills preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
Salary Range: [[$120,000 - $137,500]]
The NBA does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or any other third parties. Any unsolicited resume sent to the NBA will be considered NBA property, and the NBA will not pay a fee should it hire the subject of any unsolicited resume.
The NBA considers applicants for all positions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs, and without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, alienage or citizenship status, ancestry, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, familial status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
About the NBA
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is a global sports and media organization with the mission to inspire and connect people everywhere through the power of basketball. Built around five professional sports leagues: the NBA, WNBA, NBA G League, NBA 2K League and Basketball Africa League, the NBA has established a major international presence with games and programming available in 215 countries and territories in more than 50 languages, and merchandise for sale in more than 200 countries and territories on all seven continents. NBA rosters at the start of the 2021-22 season featured a record 121 international players from 40 countries. NBA Digital’s assets include NBA TV, NBA.com, the NBA App and NBA League Pass. The NBA has created one of the largest social media communities in the world, with 2.1 billion likes and followers globally across all league, team, and player platforms. Through NBA Cares, the league addresses important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.