Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
Could you be the signal in our noisy candidate pool? The NHL seeks a Director, Data Governance in its Information Technology - Cybersecurity Department. This is a full-time position in the NHL’s headquarter office in New York, NY.
The Cybersecurity Department partners with various departments within the League office to establish best in class practices, policies and controls to meet evolving regulatory and organizational expectations for data governance, including and without limitation to data protection, data privacy and confidentiality.
Reporting to the Senior Director, the Director, Data Governance is responsible for day-to-day management of the League office’s data governance program. Along with the Senior Director and Chief Information Security Officer. the Director will build data awareness in the organization by establishing, managing and maintaining appropriate priorities and policies for the data governance program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Operationalize a cross-functional/cross-organizational Data Governance program, which includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Updating and documenting data governance policies in collaboration with the Legal Department
- Monitoring data governance controls and procedures to evaluate the ongoing effectiveness of the Risk Management program
- Maintaining expertise with current data governance requirements
- Developing and tracking program performance metrics
- Identifying and recommending opportunities for improvement
- Maintaining an enterprise-wide knowledge and learning program as part of the Cybersecurity Department
- Collaborating across Departments to create function-specific trainings that incorporate data hygiene and governance best practices
- Curating data classification activities
- Advising data owners on architecture, management, and protection
- Managing and responding to questions and requests from NHL staff
- Handling other projects as assigned
- Understanding of and practical experience with data protection, data privacy and confidentiality laws and regulations, including but not limited to knowledge of GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, VCDPA, CPA, OCPA, and PEPEDA, and related interpretative guidance
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem-solving skills and the ability to make independent decisions
- Proven record of managing change in complex organizations
- Strong project and program management skills
- Ability to multi-task, clearly communicate progress and address issues while still meeting required deadlines
- Experience working cross-functionally and building consensus among a range of stakeholders, including internal groups and outside consultants
- Ability to comprehend complex subjects and communicate them effectively, written and spoken
- Strong research capabilities
- Ability to work effectively, independently and as part of a team
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Understanding of how data systems and other technology tools operate
- Experience tracking and reviewing data processing agreements and data protection terms in agreements
- Experience in operationalizing privacy compliance requirements
- Background in law or experience in dealing with the legalities of data governance
The NHL offers U.S. regular, full-time employees:
Time to Recharge: Utilize our generous Paid Time Off (PTO) to focus on your well-being and ensure a healthy work/life balance. PTO includes paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick days, plus an extra day off for your birthday.
Ability to Focus on your Health: Along with competitive salaries, the NHL offers comprehensive health benefits to employees and their eligible dependents effective on their first day with us – there is no waiting period. The NHL subsidizes a large portion of the health benefits costs, therefore your cost for medical, dental and vision coverage is minimal.
We also offer our employees and members of their household access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to support mental, physical, and financial health. In addition, employees have access to a digital wellness resource designed to improve health and happiness through courses in sleep, movement, and focus. These services are confidential and at no-cost to our employees.
Childcare Leave: Because your family is the NHL family, employees are offered comprehensive Childcare Leave to welcome your new addition. The primary caregiver to the child is entitled to up to 12 weeks of paid Childcare Leave, at full pay, following the birth, adoption, or placement of a child.
Employees that are not the primary caregiver to the child are entitled to up to 6 weeks of paid Childcare Leave, at full pay, which must be taken within the first 6 months following the birth, adoption, or placement of a child.
Confidence in your Retirement Goals: Participate in the NHL’s Savings Plan which includes a 401K(pre-tax and Roth options) plus non-elective (employer) contributions to keep your retirement goals on track.
A Hybrid Work Schedule: The NHL recognizes the value of flexibility in work locations/schedules to help our employees balance work/life priorities. Hybrid work schedules are available for a majority of our roles.
Our New Headquarters: Our new, state of the art, offices are located at One Manhattan West in Hudson Yards. When you’re in the office, you can conduct meetings in one of our high-tech conference rooms, have lunch with a view or play in the game room. Employees can also enjoy New York’s newest neighborhood that is home to more than 100 shops, culinary experiences, and public artwork.
A Savings for Commuting: Participate in the NHL’s pre-tax commuter benefit plan whichhelps offset the financial cost of traveling to and from our office.
NHL Partner Rates: Unlock exclusive pricing from our Partners that include savings on travel, consumer goods and services, plus the NHL Store.
Life at the NHL: In your first few days, you meet with your new teammates and the HR Team. You have the opportunity to learn more about the NHL and our workplace culture. Employees are invited to play hockey during our Tuesday Night Skate at Chelsea Piers, join our Employee Resource Groups and more. You are a part of our team and we encourage you to be your authentic self, adding to our dynamic workplace culture.
Actual base pay for a successful candidate will be determined based on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to: experience/training, market demands, and geographic location.
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.