Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
This role on the social media team manages day-to-day social media marketing, content development and publishing strategy in coordination with the NHL marketing team to meet shared goals and support multiple areas of the NHL business. This person is ingrained in NHL and hockey social conversation–they know who scored how and when, who won last night, saw the kid get a puck from their favorite player, and knows how big those 2 points are for tomorrow. They are impervious to the comments and have their own thoughts on how those new jerseys look and can transform the online community sentiment to insights that can affect how we go about our social media marketing.
This role specializes in executing the way NHL social channels drive awareness, tune-in and fan engagement for major NHL initiatives and events. This manager will be responsible for how the marketing of all NHL business areas translates to NHL social channels. Competitive candidates will demonstrate useful experience using both creativity and social data analytics to make key insights that shape organic and paid social strategy. We’re looking for someone:
- Who knows social, gets the modern day consumer, and understands how to transcend our social content beyond NHL channels
- Keeps up to date on social trends, culture, and new and emerging platforms
- Who analyzes our social media data and knows what works on NHL channels
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead social media marketing efforts across the NHL’s channels to promote the NHL’s major events, initiatives, and innovative projects. These include, but are not limited to: All-Star, Winter Classic and additional outdoor games, Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final, plus digital fan engagement products
- Plan, develop, produce and distribute content to drive new and existing fans to tune into NHL events in coordination with rights-holding broadcast partners in two ways:
- Develop promotional social media content and manage how it is produced and delivered internally and externally
- Create innovative publishing plans that meet strategic goals to drive fan engagement
- Make engaging social moments for these stakeholders to meet business objectives
- Develop social content programs that drive fan engagement with NHL eSports initiatives and encourage participant signups
- Develop social content programs that drive sales and engagement for NHLShop and our licensing partners (Adidas, Fanatics)
- Work collaboratively with internal data analysts and departments to assess the effectiveness of campaign strategies and present this data following each campaign
- Research innovative social media marketing strategies across sports and entertainment brands and use effective approaches to develop new techniques and strategies for engaging fans
- Seek out new fans in new places, including fans whose fandom might not draw a direct line back to live hockey but whose passion is undeniable, i.e. eSports
- You KNOW social media with minimum four years experience in content developing and social media marketing
- Outstanding communication and project management skills with the ability to constantly prioritize requests and tasks both internally and externally
- Proven experience developing content and strategy required to leverage social media to meet business goals
- Eager to seek out and receive feedback while remaining wide open to constructive criticism with consideration and confidence
- Excellent creative writing and interpersonal skills
- Must be very organized, a self-starter and resourceful
- Ability to think creatively, execute, and project manage across many touchpoints
- This role requires travel within North America and work on some nights and weekends
The NHL offers U.S. regular, full-time employees:
Time to Recharge: Utilize our generous Paid Time Off (PTO) to focus on your well-being and ensure a healthy work/life balance. PTO includes paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick days, plus an extra day off for your birthday.
Ability to Focus on your Health: Along with competitive salaries, the NHL offers comprehensive health benefits to employees and their eligible dependents effective on their first day with us – there is no waiting period. The NHL subsidizes a large portion of the health benefits costs, therefore your cost for medical, dental and vision coverage is minimal.
We also offer our employees and members of their household access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to support mental, physical, and financial health. In addition, employees have access to a digital wellness resource designed to improve health and happiness through courses in sleep, movement, and focus. These services are confidential and at no-cost to our employees.
Childcare Leave: Because your family is the NHL family, employees are offered comprehensive Childcare Leave to welcome your new addition. The primary caregiver to the child is entitled to up to 12 weeks of paid Childcare Leave, at full pay, following the birth, adoption, or placement of a child.
Employees that are not the primary caregiver to the child are entitled to up to 6 weeks of paid Childcare Leave, at full pay, which must be taken within the first 6 months following the birth, adoption, or placement of a child.
Confidence in your Retirement Goals: Participate in the NHL’s Savings Plan which includes a 401K(pre-tax and Roth options) plus non-elective (employer) contributions to keep your retirement goals on track.
A Hybrid Work Schedule: The NHL recognizes the value of flexibility in work locations/schedules to help our employees balance work/life priorities. Hybrid work schedules are available for a majority of our roles.
Our New Headquarters: Our new, state of the art, offices are located at One Manhattan West in Hudson Yards. When you’re in the office, you can conduct meetings in one of our high-tech conference rooms, have lunch with a view or play in the game room. Employees can also enjoy New York’s newest neighborhood that is home to more than 100 shops, culinary experiences, and public artwork.
A Savings for Commuting: Participate in the NHL’s pre-tax commuter benefit plan whichhelps offset the financial cost of traveling to and from our office.
NHL Partner Rates: Unlock exclusive pricing from our Partners that include savings on travel, consumer goods and services, plus the NHL Store.
Life at the NHL: In your first few days, you meet with your new teammates and the HR Team. You have the opportunity to learn more about the NHL and our workplace culture. Employees are invited to play hockey during our Tuesday Night Skate at Chelsea Piers, join our Employee Resource Groups and more. You are a part of our team and we encourage you to be your authentic self, adding to our dynamic workplace culture.
Actual base pay for a successful candidate will be determined based on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to: experience/training, market demands, and geographic location.
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.