The Columbus Crew is looking to add the newly designed role of Digital Strategist to join its growing Marketing & Brand Strategy Department. We are seeking a highly strategic and collaborative digital leader to develop our online fan experience and journey, grow our fanbase, drive revenue, and continue to elevate the Crew’s overall brand and online presence. The Digital Strategist will work closely with the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & Innovation to lead planning and execution of all online brand marketing and revenue initiatives for The Crew.
This role will oversee the development of a comprehensive digital fan experience from all fan touchpoints. The Strategist will lead the team’s fan journey orchestration process with the goal of developing 360-degree profiles of our fans and using personas and segments to effectively drive fandom and maximize revenues. This role will lead the development and execution of the Club’s digital strategy– including oversight of day-to-day content calendar management and content creation, digital monetization, and fan journey orchestration. This role will focus on optimization of all social/ digital platforms with an emphasis on leveraging data and analytics to drive current and future-focused growth strategies.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & Innovation and will oversee the Club’s Manager, Digital & Brand Innovation and Social Media Coordinator. This highly collaborative role will help facilitate the development and execution of various social and digital initiatives across both soccer and business operations (marketing, ticketing, partnerships, business intelligence, community relations, public relations/ communications).
The ideal candidate will have a growth mindset and a curiosity for pushing the boundaries in the world of social and digital media marketing and analytics.
- Lead the team responsible for all social and digital platforms and processes for the First Team, Crew 2, Crew Academy, Crew Youth, Historic Crew Stadium and Lower.com Field accounts (X/Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, website and mobile apps).
- Lead the team’s fan journey orchestration process with the goal of developing 360-degree profiles of our fans and using personas and segments to effectively drive fandom and maximize revenues.
- Serve as a leader and manager for the Manager, Digital and Brand Innovation and Social Media Coordinator.
- Collaborate with key leaders and internal stakeholders across all departments to support in the development of a comprehensive and proactive social/ digital strategy.
- Oversight of day-to-day content calendar management and content creation and execution (works closely with the Creative Director and Director of Video Content and Production).
- Build thoughtful and innovative owned digital marketing strategy including social media, website and app.
- Closely monitor channel and content performance– including engagement, impressions, website traffic, mobile app users and downloads and ticket sales performance.
- Develop digital reporting/ tracking structure and interpret regular reports into actionable insights that are shared across the entire organization.
- Develop competitive best practices and processes in social and digital marketing and create benchmarks.
- Identify opportunities to use digital technologies to enhance the overall marketing mix.
- Collaborate with team members on a data-capture strategy and execution.
- Work cross-functionally with the Corporate Partnerships Department on social/ digital asset creation and fulfillment.
- Build digital strategy to optimize ticket sales and other revenue streams.
- Ensure brand consistency across owned digital channels.
- Brainstorm new and innovative growth strategies and provide recommendations to leadership.
- Champions a segmented digital fan experience and advises on messaging architecture.
- Oversee agency and vendor relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Bachelor’s degree in digital/ marketing or related field preferred.
- At least 4+ years previous experience working in a sports team or brand/ agency environment.
- Previous experience managing people.
- Technical and strategic understanding of current and emerging digital and social media platforms (e.g., X/Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Experience in strategic development and execution across social media platforms.
- Strong analytics skills.
- Experience with A/B and multivariate testing.
- Experience in identifying target audiences and developing digital campaigns that engage, inform and influence.
- Passion for sports and global knowledge of the sport of soccer and MLS not required, but a plus.
- Strong ability to establish meaningful relationships with various internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to the team’s soccer and business leadership, major league soccer and other agencies and partners.
- Ability to work all matches, home and away, and nights and weekends (note: this role is not required to travel to all away matches, but rather work them remote through MLS Season Pass broadcast).
- Possesses a team-first mindset and emphasizes relationships and collaboration.
- Has an eagerness to learn and ask questions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Displays sound judgment in decision making, including an understanding of when to elevate conversations to supervisors and additional soccer and business personnel.
- Overall knowledge a vast array of digital and social media platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Proficiency in programs such as Adobe InDesign preferred, proficiency in Adobe Photoshop a plus.
- Prior experience and proficiency in Content Management software a plus.
- Ability to work in a professional environment.
- Exceptional writing ability.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong project and time management skills – people, projects, delegating responsibility and more.
- Individual must be detail-oriented and a self-starter.